[DeTomaso] ZDDP zinc oil additive

Robert Kirk kirkbrit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 10:37:55 EDT 2009

I am really enjoying this thread!  Thanks to Asa and others who have contacted me off list directly.  I'll run the risk of reiterration on a few points.
Synthetic oils were developed for Air Craft engines circe WWII.  They specifically were designed to withstand the extreme Temperatures of an air cooled engine and turbo charged engine.
As I understand the issue, synthetic oils aren't much good for new engines...won';t allow proper wear in.
ZDDP is especially essential for new flat cam and lifters.
Oil formulations are targeted for specific motor usage.  Diesel oil formulations are specifically aimed at high compression, compression fired engines.  Traditional gasoline engine and diesel oil formulations are substituting for ZDDP and flat cam technology is old school.
Bottom line is even with the research of today, tomorrow may see the same oil package with a different oil inside....thanks Asa.
My offer of an additive of ZDDP at 50 cents over cost was to help those who don't see the need for race/synthetic blends and prefer to use petroleum oils and wish to guarantee all bases are covered.

Regards,
Robert Kirk
www.kirks-auto.com