[DeTomaso] ZDDP zinc oil additive

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 01:07:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/12/09 9:40:37 PM, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

> Most of what I have read on this issue deals with the need for the ZDDP on
> initial start-up of a new cam.? Without this lubrication in the early
> break-in, cam lobes are ground flat.
> I have read nothing of the need for this ZDDP-rich oil for an older,
> established engine.

A good Dan Jones question. But it appears to me that the wear rate of brand
new cams and lifters, WITH stiff racing valve springs that produce higher
(sometimes. MUCH higher) pressures going over-the-nose of a cam lobe, is really
what causes the occasional lobe damage. This damage doesn't happen all the time,
and it likely won't happen in any case with a cam assembly thats aimed for the
street, with non-locomotive valve springs & reasonable lift rates. It's also
aimed squarely at flat-tappet cams; rollers- solid or hydraulic- are
apparently unaffected. Dan can expound further- J Deryke

A Good Credit
Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.
com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62
)