[DeTomaso] Amsoil & Zinc-phosphorus (Re: ZDDP zinc oil additive)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Mar 13 00:37:27 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been taking a bit of a beating off-list with claims that Amsoil has
no ZDDP.  First let us review ZDDP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZDDP
Which appears to be a derivitive (I'm no chemist here okay), of Zinc and
Phosphorus.

Although some Amsoil product descriptions include "high levels of zinc,"
I didn't feel that was "good enough" for some of the critics (nice
critics but critics) that we have on this list.  In addition, it didn't
call out "ZDDP" as the buzzword.  I had been looking all over the Amsoil
web site for some specific PPM level information for zinc and or
phosphorus, or ZDDP.  I had even forwarded a contact request for a white
paper or brochure that listed the PPM levels of zinc and phosphorus in
the various Amsoil product offerings.

Well, I kept looking for the info in the wrong spot.  It turns out I had
to be registered (which I am) and logged in to the Amsoil web site
before finding the following page:
https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB%20MO-2007-08-08%20Flat%20Tappet.pdf
I think you can get to it without being logged in.

This is a Technical Service Bulletin with information on Zinc and
Phosphorus levels in various Amsoil products.
If the above link does not work, I also found a dealer page where they
have posted the same info on line here:
http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/amsoil_premium_protection_10W40_high_zinc.htm
and made the TSB downloadable in PDF form here:
http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/TSB_Flat_Tappet.pdf

The bottom line is that the AMO 10W-40 product I buy contains:
Phosphorus:  1265 ppm
Zinc:  1378 ppm

The 15W-50 I run in the Mach I and Pantera:
Phosphorus:  1424
Zinc:  1575

I consider this information to be just as valid as that produced by
Mobil or Valvoline (which I have also used in the past).

NOTE:  NOT ALL AMSOIL PRODUCTS CONTAIN ZINC AND PHOSPHORUS.

Okay then.... I've satisfied myself the oil I buy has high levels of
zinc and phosphorus.

Your mileage may vary.
:)

Asa Jay