[DeTomaso] How they made a Boss 302 fit in a Goose!

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Wed Mar 11 16:36:26 EDT 2009

Asa Jay,

In this particular situation, it was because of the location of the exhaust ports.  The ports now, exit at about frame rail level or just above.  My headers take an immediate turn out of the header plate.....to go over the frame rail and then down and out....

Had they not lifted the engine, they would either have had to lower the frame rail (as has been done to another car in TX I believe) or install the heads on a Windsor or Cleveland block to raise them up enuf!  I have a picture of a 351C installed in a Goose, and it looks like it fits fine!!!

In my case I will lower the mounts, which unfortunately will lower my now sheltered oil pan back down, as well as affecting the height of the bellhousing too!!!  Time for a skid pan/shield!!!

Steve