[DeTomaso] Waterpump

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Tue Mar 10 09:49:23 EDT 2009

Dear Jack,

In my limited experience, I think you're right about the aluminum pump advantages over the stock pump. I am think that further pump improvement can be had be rebuilding a pump with the curved vane impeller and using much closer than EOM tolerances for the pump vanes to the pump housing. I just had a pump rebuilt in this fashion and the difference in tolerances is significant. I cannot document any improvement in coolant temps at this point with the new engine. In my opinion, a custom rebuilt water pump over normal aftermarket pumps has similar advantages to a custom rebuilt carb over an off the shelf Holley. Off the shelf is purdy good, but custom rebuilt is better.

Anybody else with a rebuilt pump?

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles