[DeTomaso] Dummy's Guide to A.N. fitting and hoses

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 15:43:36 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/9/09 12:09:49 PM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Please see if you can field my biggest stumbling block about using AN
> fittings and hoses. How does one connect part A with part B using the appropriate
> AN fitting and hose if part A and/or part B are "normal" plumbing connections
> found on a normal engine? How does one alter or fabricate or fix non-AN
> parts to work with the lovely, nice new AN fitting and hose to connect part A and
> part B? For example, the normal fuel pump outlet to a normal fuel fitting on
> a Holley carb?

All the Speed shop catalogues list adapter fittings in both blue-anodized
aluminum and stainless steel. AN-to-pipe, AN-to-inverted flare and AN-of-one-size
to AN-of-another are all readily available, in straight, 45 and 90 degree.
The only ones you won't find are 37-degree-AN to 45-degree-commercial fittings;
those you (or your machinest) need to make yourself. On a 351-C fuel pump, if
its the model with removeable in/out fittings, you' can use a
1/4"-pipe-to-dash-6 AN fitting (I think-that's 3/8" ID). If the pump has hose bibs pressed in,
the bibs must be pulled out, the holes in the casting drilled & tapped to
pipe thread, and use fittings as above.
Finally, in the June '07 POCA News, I wrote an article on which AN threads
interchanged to which std fitting threads. Dash-4 AN (7/16-20 SAE thread) is so
similar to the Pantera's 11mm x 1.5 metric fitting thread, that a dash-4 AN
fitting with a good o-ring against its central hex will screw into and seal
tightly on the Pantera's clutch hose junction block (replacing the stock red
plastic clutch hose), and several of the stock brake hose junction blocks. Judy's
car has been running a series of these for a decade or more without trouble.
TEST BEFORE DRIVING!!- and Good luck- J Deryke