[DeTomaso]   ZF-can you imagine?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 21:52:24 EST 2009

In a message dated 3/6/09 18 24 38, kirby.schrader at gmail.com writes:

> And if some of you aren't aware... Mike Trusty and Jack Houpe in
> Arkansas both know the guy who owns 1075...
> And his name is associated with Arkansas and a certain large store
> which you can probably guess...
>
>>>Yeah, that clod-kicking Arkansas hick has a pretty decent collection of
cars, including an original Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe.   Must be rough...:>)

> The only car to win Lemans twice, as far as I know... Not just the
> same model, not just the same make... the SAME car!
>
> Amazing....
>
>>>I know that was the first time it happened, but I think (THINK!) that
later on that feat was repeated by an Audi R8, a Joest car I believe.   Could well
be wrong though.

> That HAD to piss off Enzo big time... Last year's car handing him a
> loss AGAIN?
> :-)
>
>>>Actually, Ferrari (as an institution) had dropped out of Le Mans racing to
concentrate on F-1 after 1967 race (despite finishing 2nd and 3rd, and
sweeping Daytona 1-2-3), and left it to privateers to campaign against Ford in 1968.
  In fact Ford was a heavy (literally!) underdog, as Porsche was on the rise,
and Alfa Romeo had a squad of very quick Tipo 33/2s entered by Autodelta.
Attrition was huge and less than a third of the starters actually finished, and
it was quite a surprise when a Ford finished out front.

Ferrari returned in force in 1969, but all their new cars (312Ps) fizzled
out, and the only Ferrari to finish was an old, obsolete 250 LM (a 1963 design)
entered by the NART squad.   This year saw an epic battle for the lead right up
until the end, with an army of Porsche 908s and 917s storming away with the
race, only to fall out due to mechanical problems.   Jackie Ickx in the GT40
and Hans Hermann in the last remaining Porsche 908 changed positions several
times a lap for the last hour, with the GT40 winning by only a few seconds, the
tightest finish seen to that date.

Mike (loves Le Mans!)