[DeTomaso]   ZF-can you imagine?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 15:34:23 EST 2009

I doubt the Fendt Roller was much of a volume-user, or that the ZF was first
developed for it. DeTomaso was probably the biggest volume-consumer of ZFs.
Besides Panteras and Mangustas, most Euro- built mid-engined GT cars of the
'60s- '80s used the ZF: Maserati (late Boras and Meraks), the BMW M-1s and the
smallblock GT-40s, most English mid-engined kit-machines and the rare Monteverdi.

Ferrari and Lamborhini had their own transaxles, and a few other makers
developed cheaper units for lower-powered mid-engine cars. I'd bet that 80% of the
ZFs around today came from or were intended for a Pantera.
One fact (in hindsight): Ford, being distrustful of the durability of the
'exotic' ZF, developed their own trouble-prone transaxle for big-block GT-40
racers, and had constant tranny trouble. Later, the same attitude caused Ford to
stock one spare ZF for every five Panteras sold in the U.S. That would have
been around 1200 'replacement' ZFs, of which few were ever used. The left-overs
are the 'new-in-crate' ZFs you occasionally see on E-Bay, sold off or thrown
away by Ford dealers that got tired of storing parts which were never asked for.
FWIW- J Deryke