[DeTomaso] ZF

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 02:37:47 EST 2009

In a message dated 3/5/09 15 25 14, tipo874 at comcast.net writes:

> Why would a road paving machine need a 5 speed transmission? The ones I've
> seen don't move over about 5 MPH.
>

>>>Not when they're working, true.   But they do need to move from place to
place.   And they are very heavy, so have to be very low-geared to get going.

The original ZF was only designed for the GT40 and high-performance road and
racing cars, but the later version was later adapted for use in the Fendt
roller.   The Dash-2 ZF manual mentions it.   That is probably the application for
which the 5.25 ring and pinion gearset was created.   That gearset isn't
available on the GT40 gearbox; the lowest listed is a 4.50.