[DeTomaso] NPC - Consumer Reports on Cars

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 19:05:25 EST 2009

While I was over 100K miles on a Buick Regal GS with virtually no work, my daughter knew the local Mini Cooper (BMW) dealer service folks by first name in the first year of ownership of a new Mini Cooper.

The dependability thing is wierd, and I think Buick had great ratings 10 years ago, but not as good now.  You'd think once they figured it out, it would be the new baseline.  I'm sure BMW did not build failures into the Mini Cooper, because they were all under warrenty.

Personally, I blame it on the bean counters and managers.  Even in Aerospace, the managers viewed the engineers as plug in employees and figured if things were slow for a month, lay them all off and hire new cheaper guys with no experience when they needed them.  Maybe it's the same in Detroit?  If they don't value and develop experience, they are doomed to repeat past mistakes.  Does anyone know if the assembly lines folks and dealer mechanics ever meet with the engineers to develop better designs?

Ken