[DeTomaso] Lightning strikes a car

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 15:46:27 EST 2009

Ok, it was only an econobox, and the 'lightning' was man made, but its much
easier to set up this way than the real thing. Musta been a slow day at Top
Gear TV show.....   YouTube link-

 Top Gear: Car Lightning

The idiot inside the car started it up & drove it away after the test. No
word on who paid to touch up the roof paint.
FWIW, the real thing is much more spectacular. I was in a C-118 transport 150
miles off the CA coast one stormy night when we got smacked on an antenna on
the lower left side. The strike tipped the large plane up on its right wing
while every instrument went crazy. When we landed, most of the side of the
aluminum fuselage was rusty as the steel antenna wire vaporized and plated itself.
THe poor mechs had to sand the fuselage to fix the damage. I calculated the
power required to vaporize 12 feet of 1/4" steel wire and came up with about
30,000 horsepower.... FWIW- J Deryke