[DeTomaso] Brake vacuum tube and hose

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 15:13:06 EST 2009

In a message dated 3/3/09 9:40:51 PM, MikeLDrew at aol.com writes:

> Fortunately the (vacuum) hose failed at the end, on the engine, so we were
> able to cut an inch off and reattach it and continue the drive, but for sure
> he changed it the next day!!!

Those hoses don't fail often, but when they do, its usually bad news. If the
booster diaphragm only partially fails, engine vacuum while using the brakes
seems to suck oil vapor out of the rocker cover and it pools either in front of
the booster check valve (front hose) or right at the rocker connection (rear
hose). The hose rots from the inside-out, from being oil soaked. If you pull
your hoses and either end is oil soaked inside, first look at replacing the PCV
valve (or consider re-ringing the engine to fix excess blow-by), then change
those vacuum hoses! FWIW- J Deryke