[DeTomaso] NPC - Consumer Reports on Cars

Jar cadhearse60 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 14:14:15 EST 2009

Crazy how German cars, formerly bulletproof, have declined in quality
over the years.  Last weekend I saw a brand new Audi TT stalled in the
middle of the freeway with no one in it.
My cousin has a Mercedes she'd like to ghost-drive off a cliff after
spending about $10k in repairs before the odo hit 100k.  I spoke to a
BMW mechanic once who said that their engineers had designed certain
parts to fail at precise intervals in order to keep the service shops
busy.  Haven't heard any horror stories about Volkswagen or Porsche
these days....

As for Toyota, in 2001 I bought a V8 Toyota Tundra after having loved
their smaller pickups and it turned out to be a money pit with the
front brakes failing entirely at 30k, the starter at 40k and the
throttle body failing entirely at 60k.  It cost me $800 to replace the
starter because they had to remove so much junk before they could even
get at the bolts. No wonder they completely redesigned it.

I avoid new cars like the plague these days.  The newest car I have is
30 years old, I drive the hell out of it and it remains incredibly
reliable:  a 1978 Datsun 620 pickup 5spd King Cab.

In my opinion, new cars are a racket and have been for a good long
while.  Mfg's exploit people's desire to have something new and zippy
to keep up with the Joneses and build quality has suffered.   I'm not
shedding any tears watching these companies eat their own doodoo.