[DeTomaso] Brake vacuum tube and hose

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 00:40:15 EST 2009

In a message dated 3/3/09 21 33 26, SOBill at aol.com writes:

> The hose I got from a vendor would no way fit. It was 1/2 inch  hose.

Wrong vendor, apparently.   I got proper metric hose (not cheap!) from Bobby
Byars.   He said it's used on some Porsches and is very difficult to come by.

This was several years ago....

I recall that the fittings on the engine, booster, and the metal pipe were
different diameters, and it was very difficult to install the hose on some, and
even harder on the others.   Changing this sucker out was a non-trivial
job...but it's important.

I would never want to spend much time driving around in a Pantera with an
original 40-year-old vacuum hose.   I HAVE been a passenger in a Pantera whose
vacuum hose failed while on the fly.   We were on a two-lane road, traffic in
front of us came to a stop, the driver stepped on the brakes and nothing
happened!   He quickly yanked the wheel and zoomed into a driveway to avoid crashing
into the traffic stopping in front of us!   Thankfully it was a long and
somewhat uphill driveway!

I didn't have any idea what was happening and why we were suddenly sitting in
this fellow's driveway.   The driver was pretty shaken and it took a second
for him to regain his composure!

Fortunately the hose failed at the end, on the engine, so we were able to cut
an inch off and reattach it and continue the drive, but for sure he changed
it the next day!!!