[DeTomaso] Concorso future plans

fresnofinches at aol.com fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue Mar 3 13:20:09 EST 2009

Email I received today:

Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

            ?
 Please allow me to
introduce myself. My name is Tom McDowell. I recently acquired the
Concorso Italiano
from Jack and Leslie Wadsworth. For many years, the
Concorso has been a trend setting show with many
traditional aspects
that all have anticipated and enjoyed each year. From humble
beginnings in the early 90s
evolved a special camaraderie that most of
you have shared. The founders, Frank and Janet Mandarano,
brought in
legendary Italian personalities who were honored to be part of the
experience of being with you, their
fans, in a one-on-one basis on a
lush green lawn surrounded by the cars they had designed, raced, or
engineered.

            ?

I understand well, that great moment when Piero Ferrari, Sergio
Pininfarina and Luigi Chinetti Jr. drove up on stage
with Piero driving
the 3-seat Ferrari Dino Concept and the three of them began discussing
their fathers and their
lives in their father's business. The huge
audience gathered in and around the overflowing bleachers. Their
questions were answered - all in good humor - and the cacophony from
the paparazzi cameras signaled this was
something very special, and it
was!

            ?

We, the new Concorso owners, believe that holding the 2008 event at the
Marina airport was an unfortunate decision.
It will not happen again.
We seek to quickly return the Concorso experience back to the one you
have known in the past.

            ?

I have now been the owner of CI for two weeks and have had time to
speak with several past guests, and read the
letters and press
reports. Clearly, many of you take a more personal interest in this
gathering of fellow enthusiasts and
perhaps have a "protective" and/or
somewhat "territorial" feeling about it. You may even feel cheated or
let down.

Like many of you, I am not pleased with this unwelcome turn of events
and vow here and now to correct Concorso Italiano.
It will be steered
back to its core beginning-to a place we all enjoyed for the right
reasons.

            ?

            SO AFTER ALL THE TALKING IS DONE WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?

            ?

We plan to return Concorso to a beautiful golf course on the peninsula
in 2009. A classic car should always be displayed
on a green lawn. The
venue will be agreed upon shortly. Our goals for the provision of a
wonderful dining experience at a
reasonable cost and the experience you
all should expect, are at the forefront of our minds.

            ?

That said, we would like to hear directly from you about your own
expectations and special things you might like to see at
this very
special event. We want to know what you, the true enthusiasts, are
thinking. Please email us at ci at concorso.com
or call (425) 742-0632.? We are most serious about making Concorso
Italiano the first-rate experience for you, your families,
and your
friends that it has been in the past. We will be listening. And we plan
to make the 2009 gathering one to remember.

            ?

            Very truly yours,

            Tom McDowell

            Mercer Island WA.