[DeTomaso] Fluidyne Radiator

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 2 01:44:55 EST 2009

In a message dated 3/1/09 19 19 42, bwerner at live.com writes:

> I need some advice on where to get the best buy on a fluidyne aluminum
> radiator and SS water tubes??  I decided not to use my custom built copper
> radiator and the stock water pipes.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
> all.
>
>>>Well, first of all I would suggest you strongly reconsider your decision;
I would MUCH rather have a conventional radiator than an aluminum one.   They
perform as well or better, plus they are easily repaired.   When your aluminum
radiator picks up a rock and springs a leak, it goes into the trash because
nobody can fix it. :<(

If you're committed to the idea, then I'd investigate all the offerings from
the Pantera vendors.   Summit Racing will sell you a Fluidyne Pantera
radiator, but it's a plain-jane affair, a bolt-in replacement for the stock radiator,
designed to use stock-style fans.   If you want to use aftermarket sucker
fans, then several of the vendors sell kits.

Larry Stock's kit uses a Flexalite twin sucker fan in a plastic shroud.
Wilkinson's kit uses Spal fans, and Bobby Byar's kit uses some other fans (I
don't know which).   Bobby's fans are secured to the radiator with proper brackets
and are quite professional; I think Larry's setup relies on zip ties through
the radiator core, which is an invitation to disaster, unless special
precaution are taken--and even then I'm not so sure.

I can't remember what scheme Wilkinson uses for securing his fans; you'd have
to ask him.

Prices on all these setups are in the same rough ballpark, I think.   Most of
the people who go this route spring for the extra bucks to lay the radiator
forward.   The bottom of the radiator is lifted up and to the rear and the
front is tilted forward, so that the radiator sits at a 45-degree slant, using a
vendor-supplied kit (and the ones I've seen have been very nice, polished
stainless steel).   This does nothing practical, except to allow better access to
the headlight mechanism, and more clearance for the fans, so normally there's
no real reason to do it, unless a particular vendor's fans are too deep to
allow enough clearance.