[DeTomaso] Questions on the Rick Moseley relay kit

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 19:54:44 EDT 2009

AJ wrote:

The intent of the relay kit was to reduce the load on the headlight
switch and fan circuits.

>>>Not exactly.  The purpose of the kit is to reduce the load on the
headlight switch, and improve the power delivery to the fan circuits.

> It does not however replace the original
relays for those devices.

>>>The headlights have no relay.  What the kit does is introduce relays
to the light circuit.  The kit doesn't affect the stock fan relays in
any way, nor does it augment them with additional relays.  Instead it
just improves the power routing to the stock fan relays.

> As some have seen who looked over my photos
from last night, I have at least one toast fan relay.  So the question.

With the relay kit, can I delete the fan relays or should I replace
them with a suitable aftermarket relay?

>>>You can't delete them.  The fans must be relayed.  However, the kit
does come with one extra relay that you can use how you see
fit--including using it to trigger the fans.

>In addition, I figure on using only one thermo switch to turn the fans

on, so can I simply straight jumper the other switch lines?  (not that
it matters I guess if I feed both fans from one source).

Hmmm.  What would you recommend?

>>>You could jumper the fans, and power them both off of a single
relay, if you wanted them to both turn on and off together.  But why
not have dual independent circuits (as the factory intended) so that a
single component failure won't wipe out your whole fan system?