[DeTomaso] Belly Pan [WAS: Possible Hood Vents]

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 04:48:40 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/29/09 1 42 49, hemipanter at hemipanter.se writes:

> A flat steel floor could be reinforced from
> the inside and dosent build extra thickness.

As a matter of fact, that's what I have on my car.   My floor is completely
flat underneath from the front to the back, and all the structure that
appears on the underside of the stock floor has been replicated on the inside of
mine.   This was done primarily to lower the floor two inches to provide
sufficient clearance for my Recaro seats.  Since my stock floors were rusted
to the point of translucency, they had to be entirely replaced, and it was
both simpler and more beneficial to lower the entire floor from front to back,
rather than make a complicated stepped floor with a lower portion only
where the seats are.

The result was that the floor was too low in the pedal area, and when my
feet were on the floor I could barely reach the pedals with my toes, so I
built up the front part of the floor area with several thick layers of
insulation before putting the carpet on top of it.   The insulation was actually home
insulation, rigid and weighing nothing.

As a secondary benefit, the underside of my car is now completely flat,
which perhaps explains why the car is as fast as it is, given that it has maybe
163 horsepower at the moment. :>)

Mike (new balancer has arrived, which will let me set the timing properly,
and I dug out my MSD distributor curving bushings/springs, so once those are
installed, watch out!)