[DeTomaso] cooling system bleeding- Vacuum Cooling System Filler Tool- Tooltopia versus Harbor Freight

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 29 01:44:45 EDT 2009

Guys... Guys....

Once again, those of us who are the true tool junkies lead the way....

This shameless copy of the world renown tool maker Harbor Freight's product, is simply pitiful... not to mention almost twice (or three, depending on which version you're looking at) times the cost of Harbor Freight's version.

Now I can't speak for Tooltopia's contumelious copy, but HF's work of tool art is a wonderful example of cooling system engineering.  Not only that, it also works.  What it does is use your shop air compressor to generate vacuum, which is then metered into your cooling system (to pull about 15 "inches of mercury" vacuum), and then is "held there" for ten minutes or so at your discretion.  The filler tool has a vacuum gauge on it, and the instructions recommend that once you reach the recommended vacuum level, that you hold it there so you can be assured of the cooling system's integrity.

The vacuum is enough that all your rubber hoses will flatten, and make you think it's just sucked the guts right out of your engine.  But what it does is ensure that your cooling system is leak proof, and ready to be filled.  Then it also ensures that all the little "nooks and crannies" are going to be filled, rather than be left with a pocket full of air here, and there, and everywhere.

It's an excellent tool.  It's got three main pieces to it, one is the venturi vacuum generator, the second is the seal that fits into the radiator filler tube/cap/neck/etc., and the third is the suction tube that you drop into your coolant supply bottles.  It's also got a nice handful of quarter turn ball valves so when you have to move the suction filler tube from the empty gallon bottle to the next full gallon bottle, you simply turn the ball valve to the "shut" position, move the suction tube to the next gallon bottle, and then reopen that ball valve.  The quarter turn ball valves also control the vacuum, the compressed air inlet, and all the other intakes, exhaust, outlets, and so forth.  The ball valves consist of a chrome plated, brass ball that is seated in a polypro plastic socket.  They're an excellent design.

The suction tube, that drops into the coolant bottles, has a very nice screen filter on the end.  The filter acts as both a filtration device, and as a weight to hold the intake tube at the bottom of the bottles.  The filter is constructed such that the screen is well protected, and will give years of service.  The screen will also serve as a sufficient filter if you are reusing your coolant, rather than replacing it. The protective structure around the screen ensures that the actual screen will not lay on the bottom of the container, and suck any dirt, impurities, etc., that could be on the bottom of the container.

Personally I think that every Pantera owner that will ever fill their coolant system themselves, needs one of these devices.... or you need to know someone that has one.  And for under $40, it's a very good value from Harbor Freight.

For those of you who are going to go look thru the HF web catalog (after reading this), I just did so, and wasn't able to find the filler.  Tomorrow I'll venture into the depths of my shop, and get the stock number off of mine, and look for it with that number (sometimes their web catalog is not as current as we'd wish).  Also it wasn't that long ago, maybe 6 weeks or so, that HF was running a sale on this item in their mail order catalogs.

And all the usual disclaimers:  I don't own Harbor Freight.  None of my children own Harbor Freight.  I'm not paid by them for anything.  No one has promised me untold riches if I say nice things about their stuff....  In fact no one's promised me a penny if I say nice things about their stuff....  or even bad things about their stuff....

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
The Electric Pantera