[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 59, Issue 28-Chrome it

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 01:17:07 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/28/09 9:19:38 PM, Fastgrandma at aol.com writes:

> Well, Jack and I can only talk about the 'old' cars we saw at a local
> show this weekend; some really neat restored cars with maybe the newest being
> Larry Stock's mid 60's Mustang convert.   Those cars sure bring back
> memories!

What it was, was a car show devoted to 'orphan' cars, but they also
included a run-whatcha-brung class. There was a nice Lister/big-block-Chev,
Paxton-blown w/intercooler roadster with the characteristic race access tilt-front
and rear. For the first time I can remember, they had four 'rat-rods' on
display; severely chopped '27 and '29 Ford coupes, sedans & a pickup without a
vestige of paint apparently ever- the 'patina' these guys enjoy. One had a
sign: "If it runs, its finished". Rust on your clothes and maybe tetanus
looks to be a drawback from these things.... Got a giggle from the shiny
polished blown-smallblock guys: all the ones I saw had tiny front tires, auto
trannys and stock diameter fuel lines. Apparently they don't go around many
corners, and don't use their giant horsepower more than a few hundred feet. I
once talked to a guy at Hot August Nights about his blown big-block in a very
light looking '27 T pickup. I asked how it handled. He said it handled real
good, up to about 50 mph where a shimmy set in..... Diff'rent strokes for
diff'rent folks. Cheers- J Deryke