[DeTomaso] Mechanical Fuel Pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 00:48:34 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/28/09 7:20:53 PM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Jack DeRyke wrote an article about this very topic.  The exact location
> of the article escapes me, but I bet Jack will chime in and enlighten us.

Yes- many times due to the possibility of crash damage ripping the tank
bottom like a Kleenex box. The steel is so thin, you can actually punch a
screwdriver clear thru a good tank with little effort. I suggest running a
top-mount out-line from the fuel filler or the rollover valve openings rather than
rigging a Christmas tree of fittings hanging off the bottom. If you
absolutely must, use a minimum-clearance banjo fitting and a large loop of armored
flex hose (suitably routed) between the tank & pump, for a strain relief.
I'm completing an article for next month's newsletter on adapting an
in-tank fuel pump (exiting out the top) to a stock Pantera fuel tank. This is not
a 'teaser'; I had some unplanned problems with this adaption to our '72, but
its now done except for on-street testing. This should eliminate fuel
boiling and vapor-lock, and with a bit more work, provide a larger fuel-out line
for high horsepower engines. As most know, the stock Pantera fuel-out line-
either early or late tank- restricts fuel flow enough to limit horsepower to
around 450 real horses, give-or-take a few. Increasing the ID of the
out-line to at least 3/8" cures this restriction for our street machines. Real
race cars use 1/2" ID fuel lines from tank pickup all the way to the carb
inlets.   Cheers-- J Deryke