[DeTomaso] Fw: Possible Hood Vents

Rod Kunishige rkunishige at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 13:47:56 EDT 2009

Art,

The offer stands for you to use my stock L hood as an experiment.  It has the habachi grills and vents well while standing still.  Please do not cut up your stock hood.  My spare 74 hood was estimated at $1,000 in 2000.

Remember that the reason a last lap around the race course happens in all races is to cool down the car's liquids while there is ample airflow. I think you'll find that leasurely driving, about 35-45 mph, after a spirited run would cool down much faster than just idling at a standstill.

I suggest that you try my hood.  It may just be more than enough of an opening to vent. Perhaps the larger opening at rest would not make a difference ... only decrease the velocity of the venting not total volume.

Jack DeRyke studied this years ago and pointed out that the air is directed under the car at speed.  Even with vents, there is a wall at the front tub.  The least resistance is downward.  GT40 type hood means eliminating it.  Racecars Engineering conculuded that the opening must be big in order to work effectively.

I used the same source to design a simple Gurney mod for my hood to cause a low pressure area to vent better at speed...not yet implemented.  I may later expand the opening as your proposal if this proves insufficient since I do have the spare hood.

Controlling the air under the car is what I think needs to be explored more fully.  There must be a design that directs the radiator exhaust, induces cold air to the carb, vents the hot air from the engine compartment, and balance the downforce both front and rear as speed increases.  We need a very sharp areo engineer that honors the Tjaarda design without wing thingies.  I think it can all be done under the car.

Just my thoughts to consider.

Rod Kunishge