[DeTomaso] gauges that fog during use

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:14:51 EDT 2009

Jon from pantera electronics ( who really knows his shit) told me it was the
higher watt bulbs in the gauges that cause the condensation. I had just
installed Pantera electronics headlight controller and fuse box and I
noticed that i had the condensation issue and that my gauge faces were very
hot. I was concerned that I had an electrical issue (based on how hot the
gauges were) Since I had just spent around $450 bucks with Pantera
electronics and he was giving me tech support for the installations I
figured I would pick his brain. He told me that it was the higher watt bulbs
and that it could be remedied with the LED bulbs because they put off nearly
no heat, You can tell from a cursory exam that the old Pantera gauges are
not sealed and it is very easy to get moisture inside. So none of this is my
personal opinion but the opinion of the guy that manufactures the best
modern electrical components on the market, so i would tend to value his
opinion. Also I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but I wouldn't load up
my gauges with rice unless it was a Stanley Steamer! Moisture is the enemy
of Panteras , electronics and steel. If any of you have ever had a short in
your dash or a fire caused by a failure of an electrical component caused by
corrosion or moisture you would know that these symptoms are an early
warning that you need to pay attention too!
If you have visible condensation in your gauges that shows without your
gauge lights on that's even worse!
Boyd