[DeTomaso] Difference between an aluminum radiator and one that is black

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 03:38:46 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/25/09 9:53:55 PM, deserttwist at juno.com writes:

> Thank you all for the great advise. Do you think it wise to buy the
> radiator and fan unit from Pantera Performance, it looks like such a neat unit.?
> or is there a cheaper way to accomplish a cool car?

Buy from a vendor, because there's a bit more to it than just the Fluidyne.
First, the radiator needs two 90 degree hook-ups on the inlet & outlet in
order to hook to the stock cooling tubes without forcing one to search for
rare curved hoses and cut tem to size. As-received, the Fluidyne has only
short straight hose bibs and our 1-3/8" rad hoses are often special-order at
local parts stores. Pantera Peformance alters the rad to include curved
welded-on spigots. They also include a custom aluminum shroud with big dual sucker
fans built in.

Second, unless you buy from a vendor, likely the Fluidyne will come with no
fan thermostats and maybe no air bleed or drain-cock, forcing you to chase
around town for the missing stuff, then install them correctly. This is part
of why mail-order non-Pantera shops are able to sell a little cheaper.

Finally, you'll be dealing with a vendor that values you as a (potential)
repeat customer and his image in the Pantera Community will stand behind the
guarantee. I know of one Pantera part vendor that replaced THREE Fluidyne
radiators for one customer- no charge. He finally figured out that the
extremely hard water in the guy's local area (3000 miles away) was causing the
problem, so now all Fluidynes sold by that vendor include a quart bottle of
special water conditioner, and he changed his installation instructions to cover
that contingency. The $50 you might save buying all the parts necessary
from Summit Speed Shop or someone similar just isn't worth the trouble nor
risk, IMHO. Good Luck and say 'Hi' to your neighbors Mr & Mrs Finn for me.
Cheers- J Deryke