[DeTomaso] Difference between an aluminum radiator and one that is black

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 02:38:02 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/25/09 12:02:07 PM, deserttwist at juno.com writes:

> Did you put in a stand up or a lay down aluminum radiator, I am thinking
> we should change ours before we get the cat all back together.

Excellent idea! Mine is a laydown Fluidyne, but remember, there's no
cooling advantage to one style or the other. Its the aluminum radiator that makes
the difference, not its position. Mounting it as a stock stand-up makes it a
little more difficult to hook up the hoses and the fan thermostat wires,
and if you also change to high air flow shrouded dual Flexilite sucker fans as
I did, the installation of the fans is also difficult, but it can all be
done in the stand-up mode. I've not spoken to anyone on how things worked out
changing to an aluminum radiator and keeping the old pusher fans.
The laydown radiator makes things quite a bit easier to hook hoses and the
more efficient shrouded fans on the backside but requires you to cut away
the stock pusher fan mounts, as the forward-leaning radiator will hit the old
mounts even with the motors and fans removed. That actually clears the way
for better air flow into the radiator. It also requires you to make a new top
cover or severely cut down the original, as the top of the radiator is now
only a few inches away from the front body crossbar. The 'kit' to tilt the
radiator is actually only two short straps and two bolts & nuts that attach
to the rad top and the stock mounts; no alterations are needed on the bottom
support posts beyond having good rubber bushings or rubber washers down
there. Good luck- J Deryke