[DeTomaso] Silver State ORR Invitation - Gary Hall Memorial Run

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 17:35:32 EDT 2009

List & POCA Chapter Members,

The Silver State Classic Open Road Race is September 18-20, 2009 in Ely Nevada. That's just 3 months away. I expect as many as 150 entrys and most of them will be late model Corvettes. We will again be starting the event with 1st car off the starting line just like we have for the last 2 years.

Right now we have 3 solid good-to-go DeTomaso entries  (Jason Eaton, Scott Couchman and MD....all bringing Pantera's). There are three other long shots and maybe others I haven't heard about yet who are still wrenching and they are ORR veterans, Rich Hoppe of Arizona, John Bentley of California and Chuck Atkinson of Ohio.

We used to be able to compete as a team with just 5 cars but now Silver State requires a minimum of 7 to make a team so hoping you or some of the guys or gals in your chapter may be interested in running they're Pantera or Mangusta at the Silver State in September.

Some of our people running in the Touring Division average as little as 85 to 100 Mph so you don't need to do very much or go very fast to start and finish. And there is very little you need to add or change that you would not do for a open track event. You do need to make sure your tires are in good condition and are a minimum of V speed rated and preferably W or better (Y & Z) with no cracking or flat spots. You'll also need a full face helmet (SA2000 or better) and gloves. You also need a minimum of a 3-point OEM restraint harness and a mounted 2.5 fire extinguisher. If you want to go faster check the SSCC Tech Rules.

As many of you know Gary Hall liked to race his cars.  As I recall Gary ran most if not all the open track events across the country. To include the Silver State ORR. He drove Old Blue and he also ran 'Big Red' at Silver State with Bobby Byers driving 2 or 3 times in the Unlimited Division.  Many of the Silver State veterans still remember Gary and I think it would be an excellent tribute to Gary to complete the run at Silver State this year in his memory and honor.

I'd also love to see a 'Mangusta' complete the Silver State. Gary Bartley finished the Texas Big Bend with a 85 Mph average so I know it can be done ;-]> Having wrote that I also have to say no one has started and finished Silver State in a Mangusta so its way over due.

I'd also like to see more entry's from the west coast, and some entrys from Texas, the Midwest, and the right coast...and even Hawaii. ;-]>

It's not so much about the unlimited speeds or running legally over a 2-lane road as the highway patrol  wave to you that is so much fun  as much as it is about the people and the camaraderie and gung ho attitude of being part of the only participants who regularly run 35+ year old vintage automobiles in ORR competition. I think we also have a pretty good time in Ely!

If you have any questions on the Tech requirements or entry let me know or go to the Silver State web site <www.sscc.us> for additional details.

If I can help in anyway please let me know.

Good Luck!

Mad Dawg Antenucci
Team Pantera Racing
www.teampanteraracing.com