[DeTomaso] thermostats

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Wed Jun 24 16:29:54 EDT 2009

Thomas,

	The four brands of 351W thermostat I've tried were drastically different
from each other in how far they extend when hot.  For those using a 351W
T-stat in a 351C it's quite plausible that the longest of them will hit a
"freeze plugged" orifice in a 351C block when hot which will prevent them
from fully opening.  If you don't have access to a good thermometer, measure
the thermostat in boiling water to check how far it extends and compare that
to the space available in the block.  Better yet, place the thermostat in an
oven with a metal ruler alongside, take the temperature up to about 250F,
and see if it extends further at 240F than it does at 212F.  Don't to too
hot though; some thermostats have a fail-safe design where they permanently
stick open when overheated.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505