[DeTomaso] Bypass  (Re:   thermostats)

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jun 24 14:18:21 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/24/09 8:34:43 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Okay, so if a person uses a remote bypass thermostat, what do you do with
> the thermostat area in the block?  There is a bypass passage where the
> thermostat goes which the -special- 351C thermostat closes when the stat is
> fully open.  So do we block that?  Or must you make the water pump mod
> instead, which installs a small shim of steel to block the recirculation path?

Some guys drop a 3/8" freeze plug in the brass washer below the thermostat
while others replace the stock iron waterpump with a Weiand 8209 which has
no bypass channel and is half the weight of the stocker. Not all aftermarket
pumps are like this- some aluminum pumps still have the bypass channel, and
two Nor-Cal members tapped the bypass in their aftermarkets for a pipe plug.
I can recommend the Weiand- its been able to soak up all the abuse I've
thrown at it since 1992 with no trouble. Other brands- including the stocker-
don't have that sort of record. My 2¢- J Deryke