[DeTomaso] Difference between an aluminum radiator and one that is black

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 00:15:54 EDT 2009

Mark,

    There are qualitatively different ways heat is transferred, it's been years, but I'll take a shot at it:

1) conduction, two bodies at different temperature in direct contact, the heat transfer is proportional to the difference in temperature;

2) convection, hot air rises, so a flow of air, heated by one body, rises and conducts the heat to a cooler body, you can look up equations, but not as simple and conduction;

3) radiation, a body radiates heat proportional the absolute temperature to the 4th power.  A body has coefficient that is factored in, and a flat black body radiates (and absorbs) the best, a mirror the least.  But, it has to be pretty hot for this to matter.  I think that our radiators are not that hot.  I have no idea why they are called radiators.  I think the cooling is mostly conduction into the air passing through the radiator.

Please excuse any errors in terms, I had thermo over 30 years ago.

Ken