[DeTomaso] Known cars...

www.DeTomasoRegistry.org Pantera007 at provamo.com
Tue Jun 23 18:30:50 EDT 2009

<< Wonder who's car that is?>>

How many of the 3000 US cars around do we really know about? What is known
cars... club people, forum people, PI web thingie people, etc.  Cars seam to
pop up that have never been seen before.

Maybe 75%???

Larry - Cleveland

Larry,

Maintaining & building the Registry gives me a good perspective.
Just about every day (usually several a day) the Registry receives information
of some "new" DeTomaso.
What is the definition of new?  New to the Registry is my definition here.

As to your number of 3,000 US cars.  I believe there are more than 3,000 DeTomaso
cars currently in the US.  I believe there are a good number of cars still to
be added to the Registry, and I believe the owners are known to "somebody",
perhaps connected to PI, the forum, etc... much of the pleasure in ownership
is the people you get to know.
However I've met a surprising number of people that chose NOT to
socialize in any way, and thus their cars are "mostly" (?) unknown.
(One guy has MANY DeTomaso cars!)

A recent example is the yellow L Pantera that was added to the "For Sale" section
of my website this week.

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DeTomaso4Sale/THPNNB05637.asp

Very nice car, and the owner really is not known.  He has been a "lurking" member
of the club (POCA ?) for more than 10 years, yet never cared to go to a single event!

I suggested that to sell this car, he only needs to SHOW it to a few people, the word
will get out, and BOOM! this car will be in new hands.

And just a few minutes ago, Ken Green sent me details of another car, which also is
"new/unknown".

I would have thought that by now, the new additions to the Registry would start to trickle
off.  But the pace of arrival of "unknown" DeTomaso cars continues even now, several
years later.

Chuck Melton