[DeTomaso] Under car water pipes

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Mon Jun 22 15:06:21 EDT 2009

Having just been thru this, I can tell you that one side is full length (one
piece) because you can get it installed quite easily with the engine out.
The other side could also be one length, but you would have to devise a
removable park brake bracket to allow installation, even with the engine
out. It seems logical to me that the factory used as few hose connections as
possible to save potential leak points (and money).

Alas, I thought I was so smart, I would use two full length SS pipes while
my car was all apart. Never have to remove them again. Trouble is, I can't
bring myself to start hacking the park brake bracket off and making a mickey
mouse re-attachment. My pantera project has turned out to be very
complicated without that kind of stuff. Besides, I just don't feel good
doing that to a 37 year old Italian car that has survived intact. I had to
cut one SS pipe in half to save my original park brake bracket. Oh well, it
was only aftermarket pipes. My original factory crossmember and bracket took
priority for now.

Barry

----

In a message dated 6/21/09 6:48:25 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Why is one tube in one piece spanning the entire length, and the other in
> two pieces?

I wondered about that, too. The answer is somewhere in DeTomaso's head....
The long pipe will not come out with the engine/ZF in place, without cutting
it in half. But if its badly rusted, just cut it- scrap is scrap! All the
ss replacements are two piece. Hope you have a Sawzall available; if not,
cheap $29 copies are available from Harbor Freight and others. Cheers- J
Deryke