[DeTomaso] Rear Wheel house rust repair advice needed ..

Thomas Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Mon Jun 22 11:40:27 EDT 2009

 Bohdan, Will, Mike, and others,

I've been looking at the different panels for a repair on my car also. My panels were damaged from
both half shafts breaking  at the inboard u-joint and it wasn't repaired to my liking. I've been waiting
for one of the vendors to tell me when they can take my car for the repair. From a rust stand point,
my tubes seem to be ok, but the rear support tube in the wheel well closest to the half shafts was
pretty bashed up from the half shaft slinging around.

Here are the vendors I found with patch panels:

Hall Pantera...they have the full wheel house panel and the small patch panel that I think most of us need.
The small patch panel was a very nice piece and probably looks the closest to original fabrication if you have
the round support tubes(I have a Dec 72 build which has the round tubes. The small panel as I recall was
around $300 and the large was $3500(as I recall).

Pantera Performance-Dennis Quella, has the short patch panels that have the square tubing. Nice piece also

Both vendors emailed me pictures.

Is a MIG welder ok from the standpoint of too much heat in a stress area? The bottom suspension
pickup point will take allot more stress, so mayb it's not a problem if you are welding near the top pick
points.
Tom

"I'm not a body guy.  I'm decent with a wire welder.  I did mine in a couple
of weekends.  The part that took the most time was cutting out the bad
metal.  There was a previous repair, so I had to cut through multiple layers
of metal."
Will