[DeTomaso] (no subject)

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jun 19 16:37:45 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/19/09 9:32:46 AM, ehpantera at yahoo.com writes:

> I am buying some cast iron bar and  am going to make my own tongues for
> the exhaust. There will be a little more material to work with o the flow
> bench.

NASCAR buiders did cast-iron-weld up the exhaust port mouths, but they were
really working their engines in the pro races, and most were sponsored for
at least parts. So what if you crack a head welding on it- there's 9 more on
the shelf....Brazing didn't work due to temperatures in the ports. My
favorite is the quirk Bud Moore found: at continuous high rpms (not
millisecond-long street running), stock combustion chambers flexed enough to reverse the
flow of cooling water; unexplained blown head gaskets resulted! So all the
Cleveland builders began 'posting' their iron heads with internal stanchions.
Ford finally fixed all such problems in '82 with the release of the
original SVO aluminum heads. Great history- J Deryke