[DeTomaso] (no subject)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 22:43:30 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/18/09 13 16 44, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> The only true way to know with any
> accuracy IMHO is to go to Santiago DeTomaso at the factory in Modena and
> examine all the company build-sheets. Which to my knowlege, no one has
> ever
> attempted.

I have, on two of my several visits to the factory over the years.   No
luck though.

The thing is, De Tomaso never had the production numbers for the Ford cars.
  They only had the numbers for the cars they distributed themselves.
Ford bought "De Tomaso" from de Tomaso, leaving de Tomaso to have his own
company called De Tomaso.

Confusing, I know!

But whenever you ask the factory for any information on a US-market
Pantera, they just shrug their shoulders; they never were privy to such info.   De
Tomaso was a customer, and ordered Euro-market cars from Ford one at a time;
they would be run down the assembly line in between Ford-market cars and
built up with different (better) parts, and finished off separately.

In a similar fashion, De Tomaso has all the data for the GT5-S Pantera BUT
they don't have any data at all for the Amerisport cars.   They have no
records to indicate how many were built; one can only speculate by virtue of the
fact that there are holes in the De Tomaso GT5-S serial number sequence,
and one has to assume that those holes were occupied by the Amerisport cars.

Kirk Evans has all the Amerisport data; he showed it to me once.   Must
make a point of going back there and getting my hands on that stuff one day....