[DeTomaso] Sad news

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Jun 18 22:17:32 EDT 2009

I have very positive memories of Gary.  When I acquired my first Pantera
back in 1982, Gary's parts catalog of dreams was frequently by my side.  I
was young, scraping by and always saving for the next part to take my car to
the next level of appearance or performance.  I lived in South Carolina and
I didn't see many other cars - no internet back then.  I remember receiving
his catalog with the red painted and detailed engine bay.  Wow, that was
over the top!  I had never imagined that.

My wife and I flew with a friend to LA and did all the tourist things for a
week. I got them to stop by Hall Pantera and Gary gave us the grand tour.
He was so generous with his time very friendly.  Our female guest, who was
not into cars, said his tour was the highlight of the entire trip.

Years later, I moved to Houston and Kirby Schrader and I would coordinate a
Italian Car Weekend at TWS. When Gary's health was starting to deteriorate,
he made a couple of trips to Texas for our Italian car event.  Both times he
brought a car to drive on Texas World Speedway.  We honored him with a Texas
sized sterling silver engraved tray that thanked him for his contribution to
fans of the Pantera.  I am glad we recognized him before it was to late.

His actions brought much joy to my hobby.  I am thankful to have known him
as he enriched my life.

JT