[DeTomaso] Elephant ears

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 14:57:42 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 11:54:56 PM, msm at portata writes:

> The air under the car, near the pavement is going to hotter and probably
> turbulent and dirty too.

Likely so. Larry Stock routinely finds pea-sized gravel stuck under his
rear spoiler, larger rocks on the intake manifold, dust and dirt on the engine
side of the rear window and other evidence that 'clean' tracks and highways
aren't; the underbody flow of air is filthy. I would no more drive a Pantera
without an air cleaner that I would intentionally try destroying an engine.

As for the heat, I have no evidence but it seems reasonable, given that -A-
a portion of the underbody air seems to have already gone through the
radiator, and -B- track temperatures seem to be some 30 degrees F higher than air
temps during TV commentaries on race day, so low-lying air on & just above
pavement thats already there when the car arrives is likely quite toasty.
More data! Cheers- J Deryke