[DeTomaso] Jack Handle Ratchet

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 14:22:59 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 11:55:41 AM, MZadony at fleetresponse.com writes:

> I broke my jack handle ratchet, the locking pin just snapped off, oh
> yeah, I also bent the handle and I still could not remove my 7/8 lug nuts.

1)- Do not use any ratchet wrench to break loose tightly torqued bolts or
nuts. As you found out, it overloads the ratcheting part, ruining the wrench.
This is true for the rare factory ratchet, a Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet
or any other. Use a 4-way 'star' wrench, a breaker bar or other similar
wrench-especially for any that turn out to be really tight. Out on the road, you
probably had no choice, but carry a star wrench from now on.
2)- do not do business any tire or overhaul shop that uses an air-wrench to
put on wheel nuts. Mistakes happen with these infernal devices and you pay
the price. I learned this way-back-when a tire store stretched 5 lgs on a
car I commuted in, to the point that the lugs were 1/4" longer and weak
looking. They were likely as good holding my rear tires on as Elmer's Glue would
have been. This is yet another reason I do 100% of my own work, since others
just don't care as much as you do about the quality of work put into your
car. Sorry about the trouble, but you learned something- J Deryke