[DeTomaso] ABS Calipers vs. NON-ABS Calipers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 03:11:15 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 3:51:17 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> With all due respect, I doubt if any individual or vendor has even close
> to the development time Porsche and Brembo put into the specification,
> design and testing of these calipers on a car with very similar
> requirements, which is a nearly 200 MPH car.  So while some adaptation is required, that
> is minor compared to selecting the right caliper to start with.

Agreed. FWIW, we've long used 911-S Porsche alloy front calipers (made by
ATE) in the rear of our Pantera, with Brembo vented rotors & Porterfield R4-S
pads. When we suddenly lost the front brake circuit in our stock master
cylinder on the way to 'Vegas one year, Judy was driving and she managed to
keep up with the rather rapid Nor-Cal Pantera caravan through the Sierra
twisties, on the big rear calipers alone. I actually hadn't realized there was a
problem until I moved the car at a lunch stop....They'd been on the car for
quite a few years but that episode sold me on Porsche calipers and Brembo
vented rotors. Problem with your big 996 calipers is, they're designed for a
1.25" thick rotor, which I just don't need in our car. FWIW-J DeRyke