[DeTomaso] ABS Calipers vs. NON-ABS Calipers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 02:52:53 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 5:33:08 PM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> The few people that have done the booster removal allege that it is a
> little different and requires a little more pedal effort.

Chuck, I've inadvertently driven several Panteras with inoperative vacuum
boosters including one GT-5 with the big 3-piston Girlings, and the above
description applies to all of them as well. The cars did not seem unsafe, but
it may be significant that NONE had the stock non-adjustable proportioning
valve limiting the front brakes. Based on that, if the miserable proportioning
valve is resting quietly somewhere out of your car, simply disconnect the
vacuum line to the booster and carefully try the Pantera in a non-populated
area. That should give you a boosterless baseline. Then, virtually any
upgrades you do will make stopping better. FWIW- J Deryke