[DeTomaso] headlight rings/brakes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 01:43:23 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 10:38:37 AM, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> f you have stock width rotors on the rear why wouldn't you retain the
> stock caliper to act purely as the parking brake and mount the aftermarket
> brake caliper on the leading edge of the hub? The stock e-brake is as
> effective if not better than the kart calipers.

Lots of guys do exactly that. And the stock rear caliper is a good parking
brake- as you say, better than the Kart calipers. Don't know about others,
but my reason for changing was, the all-iron stockers weigh 5-1/2 lbs per
side. The Wilwood go-kart calipers weigh less than a pound apiece, including
the bracket. And I don't spend as much time parked with the e-brake on as I do
thrashing the thing, so handling matters more to me. Cheers- J Deryke