[DeTomaso] ABS Calipers vs. NON-ABS Calipers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 20:19:23 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 17 11 5, tborcich at msn.com writes:

> Jack, I didn't realize the pistons were stainless and just assumed that
> they
> would be pitted all to hell and figured it wasn't worth it.

Tom--you didn't read his post closely.   He said that Euro car brakes
pistons are NOT stainless.

====

"The ONLY terminal problem in stock brakes is a rust-pitted piston: all
Euro brake caliper pistons (not just DeTomasos, either!) are nickel-plated mild
steel while all U.S ones are stainless."

=====

Thus they are much more likely to be AFU than an American car's pistons,
which he said are normally stainless.

I don't know what the vendor's brake rebuilders do.   Do they reuse stock
pistons, or replace them with new ones sourced elsewhere, or ???