[DeTomaso] ABS Calipers vs. NON-ABS Calipers

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 18:50:37 EDT 2009

    Parts and pads are one reason we have been working on an upgrade using Porsche 996 Turbo calipers.  There are probably many more pads available, and these are not race pads and are made to last years, not minutes of track time.  They are also designed for a car with a bit more weight and nearly identical weight distribution, so we are taking advantage of all the engineering Porsche did.

    With all due respect, I doubt if any individual or vendor has even close to the development time Porsche and Brembo put into the specification, design and testing of these calipers on a car with very similar requirements, which is a nearly 200 MPH car.  So while some adaptation is required, that is minor compared to selecting the right caliper to start with.

    I can help anyone interested in this with finding the calipers, and part numbers for the correct hats and rotors.  A local shop has made caliper brackets for $150, so all that's left is the master cylinder, and you probably can use the CNC Brakes bolt on dual MC.  I think that's what Chris is using.

Ken