[DeTomaso] Chevy in & out of Panteras or Engine Psychology Today

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 18:31:37 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 15 20 30, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I recall reading YEARS ago that someone totalled a Ferrari Datona that
> was part of the Harrah's collection.  They put the V12 in a Jeep Wagoneer or
> something like that.

Yes, we saw that Jeep at the museum at the dinner on Friday night (and YOU
should have been there to see it as well!).   The engine is actually from a
'72 365 GTC/4, a cousin to the Daytona.   The 365 GTC/4 used sidedraft
Webers to keep the hoodline low, necessitating different cylinder heads also, but
the bottom end is the same 4.4 liter V-12 as the Daytona.   The Daytona
used a rear-mounted transaxle (as did all other 1960s/1970s V-12 Ferraris), but
the GTC/4 was unusual in using a front-mounted gearbox (many were built
with GM slushboxes instead of manual transmissions--it was basically a
four-seater Daytona).

Installing this engine in the Jeep was a non-trivial affair; the guys in
Harrah's shop had to extend the length of the nose a few inches, and run split
radiators (one on each side) since the front of the engine practically
touched the back side of the grille.

It was said to be good for upwards of 140 mph!