[DeTomaso] headlight rings/brakes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 17:18:02 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 9:44:01 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I looked at the Wilwood mechanical calipers and it looks like they would
> require an odd mounting bracket.  Do you have pictures of yours?

The small Wilwood mechanical calipers I used are single-piston that are
designed to slide back & forth on tracks, so the brackets I built have
removeable slider-plates that need a tiny amount of yearly lube, just like the
single-piston sliding calipers on Fords & Chevys. As I said, I did this a while
ago- the installation, photos and subsequent 1000-mile test drive were the
subject of a POCA Newsletter article- August 1998. But I'll see if I can pull
a rear wheel and take new photos to post on the POCA Website. Up till now,
they've been undisturbed back there, but still work fine.
The Law says any e-brake system must be totally separate from the normal
brake system. So if one used a hydraulic e-brake caliper, it will need its own
dedicated brake pedal, master cylinder, lines and of course- calipers, to
be legal. I know of no production auto thats ever tried to run a hydraulic
e-brake, but I suppose it could be done, with a weight, cost and complication
penalty. Cheers- J Deryke