[DeTomaso] Jack Handle Ratchet

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 15:25:55 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/17/09 11 55 40, MZadony at fleetresponse.com writes:

> I broke my jack handle ratchet, the locking pin just snapped off, oh
> yeah, I also bent the handle and I still could not remove my 7/8 lug nuts.
>
> The number stamped on it is 2186751  14MM Hexagon.  Does any body have one
> to sell me ??  Myron 6928 the other guy in Cleveland.

I hoped to have one in my new parts stash; so far I've found two 2186752
pieces, which is the thing that is acted upon by the ratchet--but no ratchet
itself.   However, what you broke is simply substituted; all you need is an
ordinary ratchet with a 14mm socket.   I'd suggest using a longer-than-normal
1/2 inch drive ratchet, or a breaker bar.   And as for getting your lug
nuts loose now, I'd use conventional home tools as opposed to
emergency-on-the-road tools.   Long breaker bar, with a piece of pipe slipped over the handle
for extra leverage.   Maybe spritz some penetrant in there and let it soak
first.   Don't be surprised if you snap one or more studs off. :<(

How badly broken is your ratchet?   Could it be repaired by a guy like
Chris Difani with a fully equipped machine shop and a never-say-can't attitude?