[DeTomaso] Chevy in & out of Panteras or Engine Psychology Today

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 12:58:53 EDT 2009

<<< If anyone converted a early mustang to a GT 500 Shelby "Clone" I sincerely doubt people
would pay enough more to cover the cost of the "Clone" >>>

But interestingly, my 1966 Mustang GT fastback is worth more as a Shelby GT350 clone than
as an original restored car.  When faced with the overall expense of a restoration, the cost to
convert an early Mustang to a Shelby clone is virtually the same as doing a stock restoration.
I expect this is part of the reason why there's been such a proliferation of 65-66 Shelby GT350
clone's in the last few years; sellers intending to flip a desirable car.  And, Shelby GT350's
became very desirable cars, with prices hitting the stratosphere at $150,000+. It became
economically sound to buy/build a clone for 1/3 the cost of the real deal and have all the fun of
driving the wheels off of it.