[DeTomaso] headlight rings/brakes

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 17 06:57:01 EDT 2009

Mike et al:

Since Mike mentioned my name in this brake thread, I decided to weigh in with my proverbial two cents......

Another thought is that there are other manufacturers of rotors besides Wilwood.  Personally I'm using Coleman Racing rotors. I'm not saying that Wilwood rotors are not good rotors.  What I am saying is that Coleman makes extremely high quality cast iron rotors.  The quality is in their machine work, their castings, their heat and cryogenic treatments.  These guys do a tremendous job with their rotors.  Everything is done -right-.  They have them cast at a very well known domestic foundry, and they're 'seasoned' for 9 to 12 months, just to begin with.

The "seasoning process" is where the castings are left out in the weather, exposed to sunlight, rain, snow, etc.  Cast iron is a very interesting metal.  You'd think that after the casting cooled to ambient temps, and removed from their mold, that they wouldn't change anymore.  Wrong... not with cast iron.  This metal will continue to "move" for months after the casting process.  Which is why they're "seasoned" if they're being handled correctly.  This is also one of the most time consuming steps within the manufacturing process of a precision cast iron device.

However don't mistake the seasoning process for cast iron with what the Italian auto makers did with our steel Pantera bodies.  Totally different kettle of metaphorical cats....

Now, back to cast iron.

Even the machining process needs to be specifically tailored to cast iron, rather than simply "ferrous metal".  The heat treatment is performed in very accurate, and well maintained tempering ovens or kilns.  They do the "cold treatment", otherwise known as cryogenics, which is cooling the rotors down to -300° for a very specific time, in a very specific cooling process.  This again requires precision and extreme care.  And it's all designed to align the iron molecules' crystalline structure of the entire cast iron piece into an very uniform pattern throughout the entire piece.

The end result is a rotor that will not "move" as it's heated and cooled during it's working cycle.  When you have rotors that have not been treated "the right way", you can have situations like Mikey might have on his car.... moving rotor metal (or some kind of defect- that he thinks is now resolved)... not a lot, but 5 or 10 thousandths on a rotor equals "a lot". In our Panteras, at 60MPH, that rotor is doing about 750RPM.  And then on the tracks, at oh.. say 150MPH, that rotor is turning at 1850RPM... or so.  That's about the same speed as your bench grinder.

Now thinking about that bench grinder.  Ever have one with a cheap "stone" on it?  You know, the kind when you shut the grinder down, and as it slows down, the entire grinder starts to jump around on the bench from the unbalanced wheel?  That's usually a 6" wheel or so, not a 10" or 13" cast iron "wheel".

The entire point of this dissertation is to emphasize how important it is to "buy quality".  That's your life that you're messing with, and doing things "on the cheap" isn't a real good way to ensure your continued existence.

So when you make your financial move, make sure that you're getting the best that you can.  And then make sure you're truly "getting what you pay for".  Plus one of the best ways to guarantee that, is to be sure your vendor is honest, and reputable.  Be it retail shop, wholesale "on line", or manufacturer.  Also you need to educate yourself on these pesky detail things.  Otherwise you are relying on others who might not have your best interests at heart...  Not that anyone will willingly "do you wrong", but at the same time, there aren't many out there that will spend the time to take care of your needs, to the degree that you want them taken care of.  In fact I'd say that there's only one person that's going to do that... and that's you.

Brakes are tricky... to say the least.  You need to think the situation through, learn all that you can, determine what it is that you want, and then do your best to attain that end result.  Whatever that may be....

Which I believe is why we call this kind of opportunity a "hobby".  I mean who else would spend the time, and money on esoteric devices that we do, for a car that's a faded memory in most people's minds...  That's why we fit the definition of "dedicated  hobbyist"... otherwise known as a true delusional gearhead.  Of which I am a prime example... and if you don't believe me, just ask Mikey... he's always said he'll be happy to sign my commitment papers... just as soon as I finish -his- project...

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
The Electric Pantera