[DeTomaso] Chevy in & out of Panteras or Engine Psychology Today

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:03:23 EDT 2009

I don't have any reason to doubt your statistics about people reverting back
to a Cleveland after switching out. But I have learned to disregard or at
least take anecdotal evidence  ( statements like 90% of the people who tried
other power plants switched back to Cleavland's) With out documentable
evidence to verify statements like that I can't really include them as
documentary evidence to be used in trying to make a decision about choosing
or changing a power plant. Since The Cleveland is really the only Ford
component of any significance I don't think it is accurate to call the
pantera A Ford.  Some of the people you mentioned apparently changed their
engines several times and with questionable workmanship. I don't think Chris
Difani has any plans to revert back to a pushrod power plant. And from what
Goran says he dosen't seem to have any plans to remove his Hemi.  Off all
the collectible cars on the market (based on my research) the Pantera seems
to be one of the least effected ( in terms of diminished value) by
mismatched components . It is very rare to even hear about "matching serial
numbers" or being switched to a car with flares  or a spoiler. Other us
muscle cars are dramatically effected by changes in engine ( even if it's
changed to the same engine type as originally installed or to a more
desirable model that is not original. a desirable type. There are some
Pantera aficionados who are only interested in cars that are completely
stock, others don't mind upgrades that bring a pantera to a more modern
configuration and will in fact pay more for a car that has upgrades done,
and still others will pay more for cars that are "clones' like a 72
converted to a GTS. If anyone converted a early mustang to a GT 500 shelby "
Clone" I sincerely doubt people would pay enough more to cover the cost of
the "Clone" Same thing with a Cloned Super Bee or  a Hemi Cuda convertible.
I believe the money a well done pantera  brings at sale will be commensurate
with the quality of the work done. The fact that allot of the Panteras on
the market  don't bring"top dollar"is a direct result of the poor quality of
work done.Their are quite a few Panteras that I have seen that look like
they were worked on by a blind amature mechanic. I have also seen Panteras
that prove taste is a very subjective matter. The" Pure Gold"
( or what ever it was named comes to mind) I think very few people ( with
the exception of Professional Pantera vendors ever buy a Pantera with the
plan of spending money on it to restore or customise it with the intent of
making a profit. I believe that most Pantera aficionados  are not suffering
under the delusion that they will profit from the money they spend or the
work they have done restoring or customizing their Pantera project. I can
tell you from 25 years  experience he retail automobile business that the
way to make money one the collector car business is to find someone that has
spent thousands of dollars on their pet project and the due to circunstaces
like financial hardship or just tiring of the project are forced to sell and
a person that has the cash and the knowledge will scoop it up and resell it.
The same holds true for kit airplanes,  kit helicopters, custom
motorcycles,  and boats. That's the only way I know of to make money from
this hobby. That's why most of us do it for the love of the car or the love
of making something unique. Look at the number of guys that have worked on
their project for years with out having driven it. I have an Interest in
experimental aircraft and helicopters and you see guys all the time that
don't even have a pilots licence ( they are usually engineers). They have
worked on building a project for 5 or ten years and when it's finished the
sell it. ( or they sell it unfinished because it never gets finished. These
guys normally do the most beautiful work, better work then you could pay
for.
Boyd