[DeTomaso] headlight rings/brakes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 23:10:10 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/16/09 19 57 53, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Mike, That would be perfect for me. I could finally take advantage of my
> 20/20 hindsight!
>
>>>HAHAHAHA!!!

> By the way did you get the headlight rings i sent you?
>
>>>Got them today, thanks!

Now, I need to figure out exactly what to do with them.   The fellow in
Europe who I thought asked me to get some for him (above and beyond the two
sets I got and already sent to Stephane Bergeron) now says that he doesn't need
them.

Doesn't *somebody* in Europe who is on this forum need a good set of chrome
headlight rings?

> And while I have your undivided attention do you know which wilwood brake
> kit is the appropeiate one for use on upgrading a Pantera with over size
> wheels? 17" x 9.5 front and 18" x 12" rear . ( I need the one withe the
> parking brake feature) Do you think the wilwood is the best choice for an
> upgrade?
>
>>>Best for what?   Driving on the track?   Driving on the street?
Meeting a specific budget?   Those are different challenges.

I wouldn't bother wasting my time and trying to kluge together a homemade
brake setup yourself.  Others have done so with apparent success (I say this
because Chris Difani's Porsche 911-based Brembo setup looks absolutely
awesome, but he hasn't actually driven the car yet to verify function) but unless
you are a professional or have access to your own machine shop (like Chris
does), you'd be wasting a lot of time and would likely be disappointed with
the results.

If you are looking for excellent street brakes, it's tough to beat the
Corvette-based package that Bobby Byars sells.   It is relatively cheap,
appropriate for 17-inch or larger wheels, has an integral parking brake, and has
the advantage of OEM quality which ensures function even after years and years
of owner neglect.

I have a middle-of-the-line Wilwood package from Dennis Quella on my car,
and I love it.   He offers an entry-level setup which uses Wilwood calipers
on the stock cast-iron rotors; this is probably just fine for tooling around
LonGYland, but would probably suffer if you really started beating on the
car on a racetrack.   My middle-level package worked just fine at some pretty
elevated speeds on the track, but I'm not pushing them anywhere near their
potential due to the low coefficient of friction of my stock, crusty tires.
My system has some really cheap (albeit 1.25 inch thick) rotors too, which
have warped twice and have longevity issues (although they seem to be fine
at the moment).

When and if it becomes necessary to replace my rotors I will definitely opt
for better-quality Wilwood rotors, which are more expensive, for a reason.

Larry Stock's Sierra brake setup, and the Wilwood-based setups of Marino
Perna, Steve Wilkinson and Gary Hall are all broadly similar to one another;
all of them are excellent.   None, however, incorporate a parking brake.

Geoff Peters in London recently discovered a brake manufacturer in the UK
that makes a really meaty four-piston caliper which incorporates a built-in
(as opposed to added-on) parking brake.   The caliper is about the same size
as a large Wilwood caliper, and will clear even 15-inch wheels, and probably
uses the standard Wilwood-type brake pads.   But having the parking brake
built in is a huge plus.

He's mentioned them to Dennis Quella, who may be intrigued enough to start
importing them here.   The challenge is getting brackets custom-made to
adapt them to the Pantera upright--hard for you, simple for the vendors!