[DeTomaso] Reno fun rally

richard bosch theemonkey at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 17:18:18 EDT 2009

I just wanted to give a newbies perspective on the Fun Rally in Reno.I have attended one previous rally which was in Las Vegas last year.I had a good time in Vegas(did not bring my car that time as i had spun a bearing).I went to the Spring Mountain track one day to watch,went to the Fremont street car show the next day,did a couple of other events, met some really nice people.This year i brought my car,did the Track both days,did the car show.I met so many nice people,never got a chance to do any of the events,was too busy talking,looking,comparing,learning.I enjoyed both event locations,but Reno was better in many ways.The weather was milder 80 degrees or so.It did briefly sprinkle saturday during the car show for all of two minutes or so.Guess what?The cars did not melt.In fact we ignored the drops of water and kept on looking at all the cars.The track was closer and fun for both the spectator and the driver.The track food was good and cheap!When was
 the last time you heard those two words in one sentence?The car show had 60 to 70 cars in it versus i think 12 last year.A lot more spectators saw the cars in Reno than Vegas due to the central location.Oh and the car show was only a couple of short blocks from the hotel unlike the Vegas location that was kind of a longer zig zag route to get too.I think 90 percent of the Rally goers went to the Harrahs museum dinner and self guided tour.The food was good there too as well.The cars were incredible!My only complaints are i wish it were at least one day longer,and i wish i had gotten more sleep before i got there so i could have done more!If the Rally is held in Vegas next year i will go,but i am hoping it will be held in Reno again as i personally feel it was a better in all ways.I highly recommend you go next year as well even if you do not bring a de tomaso car,although it will be a lot better with one! Richard